Alternative facts are not facts. They are falsehoods. “Alternative facts” will likely become one of those phrases that gets cemented into the English language. Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway used the phrase in an argument with the journalist Chuck Todd over crowd sizes, of all things. When pressed during the interview with Chuck Todd to explain why Spicer, the White House Press Secretary, uttered a provable falsehood, Conway said “Don’t be so overly dramatic about it, Chuck. You’re saying it’s a falsehood, and … our press secretary, Sean Spicer, gave alternative facts to that. Todd responded by saying “Alternative facts are not facts. They are falsehoods.” [Stableford, Dylan (22 January 2017]. “Kellyanne Conway cites ‘alternative facts’ in tense interview with Chuck Todd over false crowd size claims”. Yahoo! News. Retrieved 2017-01-23)
Since then, there has been something of a national debate about truth. At the very least, the idea of truth is making something of a comeback. And I’ve got to say, it’s about time! Actually, it’s just in time. For as long as I’ve been alive, I’ve been hearing “alternative facts” about babies in the womb. I’ve heard many things: “It (the baby) is just a clump of cells.” “It (the baby) is not a person,” and “It (the baby) is ‘just’ a fetus.” (Interesting fact: fetus is Latin for “Little One”).
All of these “alternative facts” are spoken to legitimize the killing of children in the womb. We should all be concerned about alternative facts. Alternative facts have consequences. Alternative facts are, as so many people have been quick to point out, lies. The consequences of the alternative facts (lies) put forth by abortion proponents have been the deaths of literally millions of babies in the U.S. alone since abortion was legalized. Alternative facts can kill.
So do your part. Don’t be afraid to speak the truth. Especially this truth: “A person’s a person no matter how small” (Dr. Seuss in Horton Hears A Who).
This weekend is the 44th annual March for Life in Washington, D.C. The March for Life began in Washington, D.C., as a small demonstration and rapidly grew to be the largest pro-life event in the world. The peaceful demonstration that has followed on the somber anniversary of Roe v. Wade every year since 1973 is a witness to the truth concerning the greatest human rights violation of our time: legalized abortion on demand.
For more information about the annual event check out marchforlife.org.
Here are some truths about babies in the womb to ponder this weekend:
- From the moment of conception babies have their own unique human DNA. They are humans, not potential humans.
- At 10 weeks, a baby can already respond to touch. He or she will wriggle away, but his or her mommy won’t be able to feel it yet.
- All of a baby’s major organs – including heart, lungs, kidneys, brain and intestines – are formed and fully functional by 10 weeks. Now he or she just has some serious growing to do.
- On average, it takes only one month from conception for a baby to develop and start using its heart. Amazing!
- Much like after they are born, babies eat first. Using the umbilical, they take the nutrients they need and leave mom the rest. This is why it’s so important for a woman to eat a healthy diet during pregnancy.
- Although what they are thinking isn’t certain, the brain waves of a baby in the womb can be recorded. This usually happens at the 42nd day after conception.
- Amazingly, babies pick up the rhythms and intonations of their mother language in the womb. Experts reckon you can even spot the difference between the developing languages of babies from their gurgles!
- Baby’s movement plays a key role in development, helping to shape joint structure and define the limbs’ range of motion.
9. A baby can recognize his or her mother’s voice at birth.
- By 13 weeks, a baby has his or her own unique fingerprints.
- Having a girl? By 18 weeks, her uterus and Fallopian tubes are formed and fully in place.
- By about 23 weeks, a baby will startle if he or she hears a loud or sudden noise.
- At about 27 weeks, a baby will start to practice breathing, even though his or her lungs aren’t taking in oxygen yet.
- By 28 weeks, a baby will be able to smell the same things his or her mommy is smelling.
For these and other fun facts about babies in the womb and more check out 40 Truly Amazing Facts About Babies
Don’t fall for alternative facts. Stand for the truth.
***If you are struggling with an abortion that you had in the past***
This article’s main focus is on speaking the truth of what an abortion really does. But there are millions of women who have had abortions and now struggle with the guilt of that decision. If this is true for you, please read on.
God wants to bring peace, forgiveness, and joy to your life—and He will if you will let Him. Anything that separates you from God, any sin, including having had an abortion, can be forgiven if you come to Him in true repentance (Ephesians 1:7, Romans 3:25, 1 John 1:7).
As we entrust the actions of the past to God, we receive peace, comfort, and assurance through Christ. We believe that God, through His Word and the power of His Spirit, can bring peace to you in the midst of your emotional distress; God’s Word offers us the peace that surpasses all understanding. As Saint Paul says, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1).
When thoughts of guilt come to your mind, say to yourself and God, “Thank You, Lord, for Your great forgiveness and mercy. I praise You that You told me to cast this care upon You (1 Peter 5:7), and I have done so. Forgive me for my worry about this matter; with Your help, I will praise you instead.”