Last night I watched Super Bowl 2016 along with about 115 million of my closest friends. Like many of them, I was excited to watch Peyton Manning play in what will probably be his last NFL game ever. I was hoping against hope that he and the Denver Broncos would be able to pull off just one more win so he could run off the football field in a blaze of glory. I got my wish. But I also got more than I bargained for during one of the commercial breaks.
As I sat, anxiously waiting for the game to come back on, I watched this funny Doritos commercial. If you haven’t seen it yet, be sure to check it out. Doritos Super Bowl Commercial It showed a couple in an examination room with the young mother getting an ultrasound. As the dad stood back working his way through a bag of Doritos, his wife says, “Really? You’re eating Doritos?” Then the dad notices that his baby, seen on the ultrasound is following the chip he is holding in one of his hands. He watches on the screen as his baby reaches out for the chip and rolls around. With three kids of my own I’ve seen my fair share of ultrasounds and I know how active babies in the womb can be. Watching the commercial I thought, “This is going to really upset some people.” And sure enough it did.
NARAL was just one pro-choice group who took offense to this commercial. I’m sure there were others. If you’re not familiar with the acronym, the organization was formerly known as the National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws, then the National Abortion Rights Action League, and later the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League. During the game, immediately following the airing of this commercial, they tweeted, “#NotBuyingIt – that @Doritos ad using#antichoice tactic of humanizing fetuses & sexist tropes of dads as clueless & moms as uptight.#SB50”
Did you catch that? They were upset because Doritos depicted a baby in the womb. Their concern was that this would “humanize” the fetus. Newsflash NARAL, and any other pro-choice people out there who didn’t know this before: A FETUS IS A HUMAN! This should not be news. It should not be controversial. The fact that for some it is, demonstrates the moral bankruptcy of those individuals. I understand that its easier to justify the killing of babies in the womb if you can convince yourself they aren’t really babies. But no amount of mental gymnastics will ever change the truth. “A person’s a person no matter how small.” (Dr. Seuss in Horton Hears a Who)
Here are some other fun facts about children in the womb:
- Babies Eat Before Mom: Much like after they are born, babies eat first. Using the umbilical, they take the nutrients they need and leave mom the rest. This is why it’s so important for a woman to eat a healthy diet during pregnancy.
- I Can Hear You: In another amazing accomplishment before the end of the first trimester, they have begun to form their hearing. Vision and respiratory systems also form.
- What Are You Thinking About?: Although what they are thinking isn’t certain, the brain waves of a fetus can be recorded. This usually happens at the 42nd day after conception.
- Their First Cry: While the doctor spanking them at birth might sound like their first cries, they aren’t. Babies can cry at the 26 week mark after conception. They even have taste buds, which might explain some of their crying.
- Your Baby’s Heart is Incredible: On average, it takes only one month for a baby to develop and start using its heart from conception. Amazing!
- Your Baby is Learning a Language: Amazingly, babies pick up the rhythms and intonations of their mother language in the womb. Experts reckon you can even spot the difference between the developing languages of babies from their gurgles!
- He Can Smell the Same Things You Can: If you can smell something whiffy, you baby probably can too. It’s suggested that from about 28 weeks, your baby can smell the same things as you. Babies at this stage can be seen grimacing and moving around when things get whiffy.